High pressure processing (HPP) is the only non-thermal technology for the seafood industry that allows the development of healthier foods, bringing a higher level of functionality and nutritional values to new products. There are a variety of HPP seafood applications in the market including, oysters, clams, mussels, lobster, crab, shrimp, salmon, cod, and ready-to-eat seafood (RTE) meals.
Seafood manufacturers can leverage HPP to optimize their operation in the extraction of meat from crustaceans and shucking from mollusks, as well as extend the shelf life of RTE meals.
HPP USES COLD PRESSURE TO GUARANTEE FOOD SAFETY AND INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY
- Shucking of Mollusks: Using pressures between 2,000 – 3,500 bar / 200 – 350 MPa / 30,000 – 45,000 psi, the shells of the bivalves open with ease and allow an efficient extraction of the meat without affecting the product, since it is a non-thermal process.
- Crustacean Meat Extraction: HPP completely separates the meat from the shell of lobsters and crabs, allowing for a 100% meat extraction yield. While avoiding the need to cook the product, you can maintain its color, texture and flavor profile intact.
- Prevents Cross Contamination. Manual handling of seafood is avoided, reducing the cost, time and risk of contamination.
- Food Safety. HPP inactivates parasites such as Anisakis and microorganisms such as Vibrio sp. And Norovirus, which have traditionally been the cause of outbreaks linked to the consumption of fresh oysters or crustaceans.
- Conservation of Fresh Fish or Ready-to-Eat (RTE) Products: Cod, crabmeat or salmon-based dishes benefit from all the HPP benefits.
- Improved Animal Welfare: A study from the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) showed that the use of HPP in both mollusks and crustaceans reduces their stress levels, compared to other meat extraction techniques.
HPP Seafood Products Examples
HPP SHUCKING FLYER
Pathogens & shef life scientific information
Crustacean Welfare Scientific Information
Webinar HPP Seafood Products
Want to know more about HPP?
Our experts will be pleased to advise you personally to solve any doubts or questions you may have about the application of high pressure processing (HPP) on your products.
HPP Seafood Customers
Hiperbaric HPP Global Community
You may also be interested in
22 Mar 2023
High Pressure Processing (HPP) is a great way to ensure that cephalopods stay fresh, safe, and delicious. ...
1 Mar 2023
HPP can be used to open and extract 100% of the meat from raw oysters and bivalve mollusks, ensuring food safety by cont...
17 Mar 2022
High Pressure Processing (HPP) has been commercialized for almost 30 years all over the world with no history of product...